Thursday, July 4, 2013

Sweet Home Chicago in Paris

As everyone in Paris surely already knows because I all but hired a plane to write in in the air, Matt and Caitlin are here! Friends from home! Chicago friends! Making new friends is great, and I love all of the people I've met here in Paris, but there's something really special about seeing people who have known you for years, who not only know about but were present for many of your most embarrassing escapades, who have comforted you when you dissolved into an-entire-bottle-of-red-wine-to-yourself-and-then-some sobs, and who despite it all still love you.

I told them I'd pick them up at Gare du Nord, where they were arriving from London. As soon as I saw them I immediately lost all sense of dignity, screamed, and charged at them. My friends!! After the requisite hugging/crying/hugging, I took them for falafel (I don't call it obsession, I call it devotion), and then I had to dash off to work. Ah if only they'd had the good sense to come during the weekend like Cat. 

It's actually worked out pretty okay though. They have a tourist agenda which they accomplish while I'm playing play-dough with Le Petit, and then I get back and we hang out, or drink, or drink and hang out and have a sleepover. And yeah, V was maybe a little bit right, my bed is not exactly equipped for three people. Imagine Caitlin falling off her side of the bed, Matt falling off his side of the bed, and me trapped between them, on my back with my arms sort of awkwardly pinned on top of my breasts and my feet sticking out from under the one blanket which doesn't really cover either of them.

Their first day we did a Champs de Mars picnic (I should get more creative with my tourguiding I know) and last night we went out with my only Parisien friend, Thibault. One of the great things about Thibault is that he truly appreciates my need for cheap, and knows the maybe three places in the whole city where truly cheap is truly possible. He led us to a packed student bar near Cardinale Lemoine with 3 euro pints of Bud where we crowded around and tried to understand each other. This went surprisingly well considering Thibault doesn't speak perfect English, I definitely don't speak perfect French, and Matt and Caitlin took German and Spanish in high school respectively.

And today is the 4th of July. What exactly does an American do in Paris on the 4th of July? There will be no fireworks. There will be no watermelon, or barbecues, or parties by the lake. The best I think I can hope for is cold beer, although this will probably be drunk in a crowded Parisian bar surrounded by Europeans who don't feel quite as fondly for my homeland as I do.

Oh well. At least I'll have my American homies with me. Maybe I can convince the DJ to do some sort of dubstep remix of the Star Spangled Banner. Or at least lead the crowd in a rousing a cappella rendition. I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment