Thursday, November 8, 2012

New Home

In several of my internet searches of what my life would be like as an au pair in Paris, many places indicated that I would most likely be living in a "chambre de bonne" which literally translates to "maid's room." They are tiny little garret rooms basically in the attic where the maids used to sleep back when people had live-in servants. (Would I qualify as a live-in servant?) They often don't have private bathrooms or kitchens or elevators.

Obviously, I gushed at that idea. 

I'll be like The Little Princess! My own little attic with a tiny window looking out onto other peoples' rooftop gardens, perhaps a glimmer of the Eiffel tower just within view. And I won't tell anyone, because they wouldn't believe me anyway, but I'll sense the presence of the long dead servant-girl who used to sleep where I'm sleeping now. Her name will be something like Sophie or Sylvie. And when I'm feeling really low about being someone else's hired help, I'll go to my chambre de bonne and know that Sylvie the ghost-maid is there, and she'll understand. It will look like this:


So when V sent me my address, I immediately got out of bed to do some Google maps research. Alas, instead of a charming "chambre de bonne," it appears that I shall be living in a patently unromantic concrete apartment building with what looks like plexiglass balconies above a limo rental shop.

So Hemingway probably never hung out there. It is, however, about a five minute walk from the Eiffel tower, and there's a doorman. So presumably I'll be somewhat more protected from sex traffickers and my packages won't get stolen. 

All in all, not bad. And who knows, maybe I'll make friends with 19th century ghosts in V's apartment.


1 comment:

  1. Katie, can't wait to hear all about your experiences! Love that you are doing a blog. I might even have to make the boys read this. XO Aunt Dene

    ReplyDelete